Sunday, November 24, 2013

Canadian Bottle Company Box and Flowers


This is my front entry display for autumn. I thought it would be good to post a small tutorial on how I put together the floral arrangement. The box was a gift to my husband many years ago. When I met him I quickly took the box under my wing. It has held many different arrangements over the years. 


The first step was to clean up the box, from any signs of any arrangements from days gone by. Goo Gone is great at removing any glue residue. I then had to choose what I would include in this arrangement. I chose sunflowers, hydrangeas, cosmos and assorted greenery, all in silk. I wanted to soften the look of the sunflowers so I remade them using some yellow sheer fabric I had from a previous project. 

The fabric is a sheer curtain material, that ha different shades of yellows and whites, blended together with a crinkle finish and a nice sheen. I cut the fabric into squares similar in size to the original flowers. I took the sunflowers apart. 


 

Pulling the flowers apart is very easy, just make sure you keep all of the pieces. I then took the original silk flower and used it as a pattern to cut from the fabric. This was really easy with scissors. When I finished cutting I reassembled the flowers back on the stem. I used one of the original flowers on the bottom and then layered on two of the new flowers on top. I used an awl to poke a hole in the centre of the flower. The green piece in the picture goes on the bottom, one of the original flowers, two of the new fabric flowers and then the brown centre goes back on to hold everything together. I was really happy with the finished product. You do not notice the difference when you look at the flowers in the arrangement, so I thought I would show you a side by side comparison.

As you can see the difference is very subtle, but the fabric softens the sun flower and adds a sheen to the petals. I think it was worth the effort. The flower on the left is the original and the flower on the right is the flower remade with fabric.


These are the tools I used in this project. Wire cutters, floral tape, an awl, small trimming scissors and a glue gun with glue sticks. The wire cutters are used to cut the stems of the silk flowers, the floral tape is used to wrap the stems. I used wire to lengthen the silk flower stems as needed, you need floral tape to wrap the stems. The awl is used to pierce a hole in the new fabric flowers. The small scissors I used to cut the fabric flowers. 

Now that the flowers are ready, I hot glued floral foam into the bottom of the box. I then covered the foam with dried moss. 


I then added flowers and greens to my liking. To finish the arrangement I added two old bottles. I love the colours of yellow and pink with a little white. They just brighten your environment perfectly. I did not follow any of the usual floral arrangement shapes this time. I was looking for a more random and wild look, like something that has been left discarded and grown up despite its location. 


No matter where I put this arrangement it looks good. I am so glad I remade the sunflowers as the fabric adds a nice shimmer. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am thinking this will be a great technique for future arrangements. Maybe poinsettia's for Christmas. 

I hope this has been helpful. Cherie








No comments:

Post a Comment