In this day and age of throw aways, our dumps are getting full but everything we buy is no longer made to last. My chairs are still very solid they had only lost their luster, so I decided to paint them myself and create a
It seems very wasteful to fill the landfill with my discarded items. I also find that most of the older goods were made of sterner stuff and last much longer than the newer materials,
they just do not look good anymore. So my project was to renew my old white plastic chairs and give them some love. I am very happy with how they have turned out.
I have five chairs and have only been able to complete three so far as the store only had three cans of paint and each chair used a whole can. I am sure I will be able to get more as soon as I can get to another Home Depot store at another location. I started by giving the chairs a really good washing with a mix of white vinegar and dawn dish soap. I wanted to make sure there was not grease or dirt on the chair surface before I painted, so that the paint would have a good surface to adhere to. To make painting easier on myself, I covered my round patio table with a dollar store plastic drop sheet so that clean up would be quick and easy. I wanted the chairs to be at a convenient level for my body posture while I was painting. This would keep my arthritic body from complaining too much while I was working. The base colour I chose was Hammered Copper from Rust-oleum. This is an all surface paint that is textured.
Hammered Copper Spray Paint
The hammered finish covers any imperfections in the old chairs finish. I then chose to tape off and paint the back section of the chair with Black Satin Rust-oleum paint. I spent lots of time with the taping as it was important not to have any over spray.
Some of the taped sections were curved, for these sections I had to cut small snips in the tape as I went to shape it while I taped it along the line I wanted. I taped off a section in the centre of the chair, for this section I used an x-acto knife to cut along the line I wanted taped. First I used my finger to find the line on the chair and then I lightly cut with the knife. It was very easy to remove after I had painted.
When all of the spray paint was dry, I used my collection of Delta Perm Enamel Air Dry Paints to add a Free hand design to the back of each of the chairs. I chose a daisy and vine design as I am very partial to daisies.
Each of the three chairs is slightly different. I added a dragonfly to one of the chairs and a lady bug to another.
When the painting was dry I gave them a quick spray with a clear varnish just to help them last longer in the outdoors. As soon as I can get more Copper paint I will finish the other two chairs on our patio. I may have to think of a few accessories now too. This worked out to be a perfect sunny day project. I hope you get inspired to keep your old chairs too.